Tuesday, January 19, 2010

How it all began

When my sister-in-law found out she was pregnant for the third time, I was excited. There would be about a 6 year age difference between the new baby and my other niece. She needed a baby shower! Finding ideas for her baby shower became an obsession. I spent hours surfing the internet trying to find the perfect decorations. I knew that I wanted to keep it simple, but I still wanted it to be special. I made countless lists of ideas. I spent hours walking around craft stores trying to decide on a theme. And then one night right before I fell asleep, it hit me.


What's the one thing that new parents need the most? And no I'm not talking about sleep.

DIAPERS! LOTS OF DIAPERS!

That was it. I had my theme. All things diapers. After that things just came together so quickly. I did the decorations in her favorite color, purple. Of course I had to squeeze a little pink into the mix. She was having a girl, after all.

In my internet search, I discovered diaper cakes. These things are absolutely gorgeous. They are so unique even before they are decorated, but once you put the finishing touches on them, HOLY COW! They are just precious.

The only problem I ran into was that every website I saw them on gave no instructions. I searched high and low with no success, and then one day I was messing around on YouTube. I found a tutorial. I watched it probably 3 times, and I was amazed at just how easy it was. Here's the tutorial I watched:

She made it so it easy to follow. After seeing that, I began the process of putting it together. Here's what I got:





Isn't that neat?!?!











And then with the help of my lovely mother, we turned it into
this:







It's PERFECT! I love the baby pink and purple together. Very girly.













Something that I think is very unique about my diaper cakes is that I don't add baby onesies, bottles, and other baby toys like most people do. I decorate mine with scrapbook embellishments. If the mother decides to make a scrapbook for the new baby, she has lots of embellishments to use.

Not only did I make a diaper cake for my sister-in-law's baby shower, I also made a diaper wreath. This could be used to hang on the hospital door when the baby is born. After that, the diapers can be used.

It turned out SUPER CUTE!








Again, I used scrapbook embellishments for the wreath. After this picture was taken, I also added a ribbon with the baby's name at the bottom.









She cleaned up on diapers! Between the wreath, the cake, and then balloon holders I made, she probably had about 200 diapers. She was very appreciative.

Here's one final photo (a shot of the diaper creations):


















Thank you for reading about how it all got started. I absolutely love making diaper cakes and wreaths. I love the fact that every time you make one, it turns out different.
amanda Pictures, Images and Photos

0 comments: